Brookvale is 16 kilometres north-east of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Northern Beaches Council. It is part of the Northern Beaches region.
The township of Brookvale was formerly known as Greendale, a name that is preserved today by Greendale Creek and the street names of Green Street and Dale Street. There was already a place called Greendale near Mulgoa, and the name Brookvale was adopted by the postal authorities on the recommendation of the Town Clerk of Manly on 18 May 1888.
William Frederick Parker was the first white settler to buy land in Brookvale. He purchased 100 acres (40 hectares) on 29 March 1836 and he was provided with an assigned convict to help clear the land. Parker eventually owned 158 acres (64 hectares) straddling the track that became Pittwater Road. He built a residence near the corner of present William Street which he called Brookvale, inspired by the brook which ran close by.
- After World War II, much of the surrounding land was bought by immigrants, many of whom were Italian. The Curulli, Caputo and Bombardieri families own a large percentage of the land in Brookvale. Brookvale developed from farmland to manufacturing, warehousing, and in recent years there has been significant office space development. Because of the large presence of Pazzano immigrants, a little village of southern Italy, Brookvale is called by them "Pazzaniedu": Little Pazzano in calabrian dialect.
- In 1883, Sydney Alexander Malcolm built what became known as 'Brookvale House'. It eventually was sold in 1961 to the Hooker Investment Corporation paving the way for the construction of Warringah Mall, which is the largest shopping complex in the area.
Warringah Shire Council Chambers, Brookvale, 1911
Warringah Shire Council Hall, Brookvale, 1918.
The tram line through Brookvale in 1911
Residents of Brookvale await the arrival of the first traim.
The first electric tram to Brookvale in 1913
The first tram to Brookvale about to leave North Manly.
The residents of Brookvale House await the arrival of the first tram to their suburb.
Bundeena is a village on the outskirts of southern Sydney, located 29 km south of the Sydney central business district and is part of the local government area of the Sutherland Shire. Bundeena is adjacent to the village of Maianbar and lies on the southern side of Port Hacking, opposite the suburbs of Cronulla and Burraneer.
Bundeena is an Aboriginal word meaning "noise like thunder" (presumed to be a reference to the sound of the waves crashing on Horderns Beach). Aboriginal rock engravings made by Dharawal people can be found at Jibbon Head.
- Bass and Flinders investigated the area in 1796, deciding that it was not a suitable location for a settlement. In 1815 there were reports of criminals in the Cabbage Tree Creek region who were producing sly grog. They used the caves along the foreshore for storage.
- Bundeena's first authorised white settler, Owen Byrne, was granted land at the site in 1832. George Simpson received a land grant at the adjacent Bonnie Vale in 1863. Simpson's Hotel was opened in the area now known as Simpsons Bay by George's son, William, in the 1870s. The sandstone Simpson's House (1870s) is still standing at what is now Bonnie Vale Campground.
- A wharf was built in 1890 and W.A. Hodgkinson conducted a launch service from Gunnamatta Bay in 1908. Captain R.R. Ryall commenced the Cronulla to Bundeena ferry service in 1915. The Wharf was reconstructed in 1920. The district's first store commenced operations at the beginning of the 1930s. Bundeena Public School opened on 14 September 1948
Bundeena ferry service
Horderns Beach, Bundeena
Burwood is a suburb in the Inner West of Sydney, 10 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre for the local government area of Burwood Council.
Captain Thomas Rowley (1748–1806) received a grant of 260 acres (110 ha) in 1799, and called his property Burwood Farm after Burwood Park, England. Following more land grants, his estate increased to 750 acres (300 ha). The grant stretched from Parramatta Road to where Nicholson Street and The Boulevarde are today and eastwards where to Croydon railway station is now. This is where he ran merino sheep on the property, whilst he lived on another farm he owned in Newtown.
- The first house, Burwood Villa, was built in the area in 1814, the same year that a stagecoach began running between Sydney and Parramatta. Burwood became a staging post along the road and the beginnings of a settlement started to develop.
- One of its most prominent early residents was Dr. John Dulhunty, a former naval surgeon who was appointed the Superintendent of Police for the Colony of New South Wales after his arrival in Sydney from England in 1826. Dr. Dulhunty became famous in the colony for fighting a gang of bushrangers that attacked his residence, Burwood House.
- He died suddenly in the house in 1828 but his son, Robert Dulhunty, went on to become the founder of the New South Wales regional city of Dubbo.
- Subdivisions in the Burwood area in the 1830s propelled the growth of a village and by 1855, when the railway line opened, Burwood was one of the initial six stops on the Sydney-to-Parramatta route. The railway led to a huge growth in population. In 1874, the area became a municipality.
- In the 2016 Census, there were 16,030 residents in the suburb of Burwood, 25.0% of whom were born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were China (excluding SARs and Taiwan) 34.5%, India 3.8%, South Korea 3.4%, Nepal 3.0% and Hong Kong (SAR of China) 2.8%.
Original Burwood Railway Station
Work on Burwood Railway Station, 1927
The first Cabarita-bound tram, decorated for the occasion, travels down Burwood Road, Burwood, NSW, 31st July 1907
Burwood Rd, Burwood c1930
The ceremony of laying the foundation stone of Burwood War Memorial Arch in 1922
Methodist :Ladies College, Burwood – basketball game, 1915
Burwood Heights is a suburb in the Inner West of Sydney, 10 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district and is situated within the local government area of Burwood Council. It is a residential suburb with no shops, schools or any public buildings. The postcode is 2136, the same as neighbouring Enfield. Burwood is a separate suburb, to the north.
The Geographical Names Board of New South Wales assigned Burwood Heights the status of a separate suburb on 19 January 2007
- According to the 2011 census of Population, there were 810 residents in Burwood Heights. In Burwood Heights, 57.8% of people were born in Australia. The most common countries of birth were Italy 9.3%, China (excludes SARs and Taiwan) 5.3%, Greece 2.7%, Vietnam 2.2% and England 2.0%.
- The Appian Way is a street in Burwood, known for its architecturally designed Federation-style homes and described as one of the finest streets of Federation houses in Australia.
- Also known as the Hoskins Estate, Appian Way was a model housing estate conceived by a wealthy industrialist, George J. Hoskins on 8 hectares of land that he purchased at the start of the 20th century. Built between 1903 and 1911, the estate of 36 Federation houses was created with his designer and builder William Richards to present an appropriate setting opposite the Hoskins St Cloud mansion on Burwood Road. They were not built to sell but as a long-term investment to be occupied by selected tenants of appropriate social standing.
- Most houses focus on an oval-shaped village green that was originally intended for tennis, bowls and croquet. Additional tennis courts replaced the croquet lawn in 1909, and later the bowling green as well. The green is surrounded by a picket fence and features hedges and an Edwardian pavilion clubhouse.
- Of the original 45 allotments, 36 houses were built, and 30 are still standing.
- The street has become the backdrop for movies and television advertisements, such as the 1987 mini-series Vietnam. Burwood Council welcomes filming in Appian Way.
Some scenes, Appian Way, Burwood