- The Hume Highway and the Hume Motorway are named after Hamilton Hume (1797-1873), a famous explorer in the early 19th century who, in 1824, in conjunction with William Hovell, first found an overland route between Sydney and the infant colonial outpost of Port Phillip, the original name of Melbourne.
- Menangle’s name is derived from an Indigenous Australian word for 'a place of swamps and lagoons'. In 1806, Walter Davidson named his land grant in this district "Manangle". This property was later incorporated into the larger Macarthur Estate.
In June 1945, the 8th Battalion was transferred to the Bougainville campaign, where it operated to contain Japanese forces on the Bonis Peninsula. It was here that Partridge performed a deed for which he received the Victoria Cross (VC), the highest award for gallantry that could be awarded to British Commonwealth forces.