Carlingford is located 22 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of City of Parramatta. Carlingford is on the north-eastern outskirts of the Greater Western Sydney region and is on the south-eastern outskirts of the Hills District and western outskirts of Northern Suburbs.
The name Carlingford came into use officially on 16 July 1883 for the name of the post office located at Mobbs Hill. There are varying accounts of how the name Carlingford was suggested. One version was that local Frederick Cox heard one of his employees describe similarities between Mobbs Hill and the town of Carlingford, County Louth, located in the east of Ireland. Alternatively, and perhaps a happy alignment with the former version, was that Carlingford was named in honour of Lord Carlingford, who was the British Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies 1847–1860. Residents voted for the name in 1886.
Prior to 1883 the locality was known under various names and lacked any clear boundaries. The fluidity in district names in the colonial period reflected changes in the patterns of land use and access to the area as the process of colonisation proceeded. Names of nearby areas were sometimes vaguely associated with what became Carlingford and even after that name was settled usage remained fluid for a time.
Carlingford remained predominantly rural until after World war 11. As Sydney rapidly expanded, following WW 11, Carlingford underwent rapid urbanisation.
Brush Farm House (1820)
Orchards were prominent in Carlingfod for over 100 years.
Loading fruit at Carlingford Railway Station for transport to market c.1923
Timber drawing in the Carlingford-Epping area c.1915
Looking north along Pennant Hills Road from Church Street (now Marsden Road), Mobbs Hill, Carlingford c.1912
The end of the line at Carlingford railway station
Carlton is a suburb in southern Sydney located 15 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district and is part of the St George area. Carlton lies across the boundary of two local government areas, the Georges River Council and the Bayside Council.
Carlton is named after a suburb of Nottingham in England meaning "a village of free men".
- Up until the arrival of the railway in 1884, Carlton was a patchwork of farms on land cleared of forest some decades earlier.
- The train did not stop at Carlton and in order to make it happen, the developers offered free blocks of land here to everyone who donated 400 pounds towards the cost of building a platform and station buildings. It was this "generous offer" of free land that prompted the use of the name Carlton.
- The settlement got its station in 1889. By the turn of the century it had developed into a desirable residential area.
Royal Hotel, Carlton, 2006
Jubilee Stadium and Walk of Fame, Park Street
Carnes Hill is located 38 kilometres southwest of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Liverpool and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region.
To be honest, I hadn’t even heard of this suburb until now. It must be a newer suburb.
The following is from Wikipedia:
· The suburb and surrounding areas are rapidly expanding and are expected to reach a population of 100,000 in the future.
· In 2016 projects began for a recreational precinct that is said to include a Library, fitness centre, indoor sport courts, skate park, and a new community centre on the corner of Cowpasture and Kurrajong Road.
· In the 2016 Census, there were 2,043 people in Carnes Hill. 53.2% of people were born in Australia. The next most common countries of birth were Fiji 7.0% and Iraq 6.2%. 38.5% of people spoke only English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Hindi 8.0% and Arabic 6.6%. The most common responses for religion were Catholic 36.9%, Islam 11.1%, Hinduism 9.1% and No Religion 8.9%.
Cnr Kurrajong Road & Sarah Hollands Drive, Carnes Hill
Carnes Hill Marketplace
Carramar is located 30 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Fairfield and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region.
Carramar's name comes from an aboriginal word meaning "shade of trees".
The first land grant in the area was made by Governor King in 1803.
One of Sydney's oldest trees, the Bland Oak. was planted in the suburb in the 1830s by William Bland.
When the railway station opened in 1924 it was called South Fairfield. However, the area had been known as Carramar since at least the 1850s and the name of the station was changed to Carramar in 1926. A post office was opened the following year as the local population began to swell.
The Bland Oak.
Planted by former convict, politician, farmer and inventor William Bland in 1842, the Bland Oak was the largest tree in Australia until it split in two parts after a storm early on New Year Day 1941. Its dissipated wood was assembled and carved into the Mayoral chair, which is currently housed at Fairfield City Museum & Gallery in Smithfield. Despite the incident, the oak tree still remains to be the largest of its kind.